- Macintosh Apples
- Lemon Juice
- Remove the pit from a couple of apples. Skinning the apples is optional, but since I like a little texture in my applesauce, I keep the skin on. Cut apples into small cubes/ chunks. Be sure to cut them all relatively the same size to ensure that they all cook through at the same time.
2. Add apples to a pot of boiling water and a table spoon of lemon juice. Coat apples with a generous amount of sugar.
3. Once the apples have cooked down a bit, and the sugar has dissolved, add cinnamon, nutmeg and cover.
4. Once bubbles begin to form, and liquid starts to thicken and reduce, stir apples, put on low and let simmer. You can set it and forget it for about 15-20 mins.
5. Once apples have cooked down and achieved that "apple sauce" texture. Remove from heat, let flavors rest, refrigerate, and serve!