PrepTime : 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- Ground Beef (can substitute for ground lamb)
- Italian Sausage
- Chopped Carrots
- Chopped Onions
- Chopped Celery
- Corn (optional)
- Peas (optional)
- Peeled Whole Potatoes
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Dried Parsley
- Smoked Paprika
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Vegetable Oil
1. Add salted water to a stock pot and set to boil. Once boiled, add whole peeled potatoes and cook til tender.
2. Heat oiled skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add chopped veggies. Sauté and season in dry spices for about 5 mins or til al dente (fancy for: cooked with a slight crunch). Set aside to use later for meat mixture.
3. Brown your meat. Add ground beef and sweet Italian sausage to a hot oiled pan. Add all dry spices and use a spoon to fold in the flavor. Once browned, add the veggies that we set aside earlier. Combine and cook together until veggies are tender.-- The veggies become flavor-absorbers, locking in all of that deliciousness from the meat.
4. Once potatoes are tender, drain water and mash with a wooden spoon or a potato masher. Once mashed, Add 1 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 2 Tblsp of butter, salt, pepper, dried parsley and shredded cheese to taste. Use an immersion hand blender to achieve a creamy texture and to ensure that all of the ingredients are successfully combined. The potatoes should have a nice velvety whip to them.
5. Pre-Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Take a loaf pan, and layer the bottom of it with a very thin layer of mashed potatoes. Next, add your meat and veggie mixture. Be sure to dense pack the ingredients into the loaf pan using the back of a serving spoon. It is important for everything to fit nice and tight into the pan to achieve equal distribution of heat.
6. Add a generous layer of mashed potatoes to the top, and put in the oven and bake for about 15 mins.
7. Next, set your oven to broil for about 3 mins, to quickly brown the top of the pie.
8. Remove from oven, garnish, plate and enjoy!